Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sympathy Cards

Possible reasons to write a sympathy card/note:  death of a loved one, losing a competition, spilling lunch at school, having an embarrassing moment, having a hard day, etc.

DON'T say:

1. "I know how you feel." (No you don't.)
2.  "You should just move on."  (Don't give advice.  It's mean.)
3.  "This same thing happened to me a year ago!"  (That makes it all about you.)
4.  "Just be happy."  (Ummm... how??)
5.  "I'm sure everything will all work out."  (Not helpful.)


DO say:


1.  "I'm sorry you're hurting." (Shows empathy.)


2.  "I remember going to a play with you and your Grandma.  I will miss her too."  (Shows you really care.)


3.  "I have a fun movie and some chocolate waiting for you whenever you feel up to coming over."  (Shows you're not going to rush them into healing, and you're here for them whenever they need you.)


No comments:

Post a Comment